Tuesday, May 03, 2005

My RefGrunt

It is really headache material to create a detailed RefGrunt, but here are today's highlites:

Caller: I'm looking to reserve a couple of books.
He tells me the titles and says "all right!" several times.
---------------------
Woman wanting to upload resume: So is Yahoos as good as any, or what do you think about MSN?
---------------------
Girl: Is the old man who was working at this desk yesterday here?
Me: Can you be more specific?
Girl: Tall, skinny, glasses, gray hair.
Me: That still doesn't help me.
There are 2 men who work here and too many people think they are twins, even though they look nothing alike.
---------------------
How much is a color print?
15 cents a page.
So, what about prints in color?
15 cents a page.
---------------------
Hi girl, hi honey, hi dear, hotcakes, I'm gonna get you, (and blows kisses).
---------------------
So where do I sign up to look at the computer?
This isn't a museum- but if you want, you can stand over there and look at the computer all day!
---------------------
Where's the copy machine?
Over there by the window.
So where's the copier?
Just over there by the window.

Yes, that was a different guy who asked about the color prints twice.
---------------------
And the most frustrating reference work of the day: A man came in looking for a list of vendors outsourced by the city and county. He wants to contact each company to "infuse capital." I found some information about vendors on the city's site, but it wasn't enough detail. I explained that the type of information he is looking for is probably not released to the public. He says, "I know that, that is why I am at the library asking you to find the information. Hurry up, I don't have all day. Walk me through how I can find the SIC codes" So annoying, he wouldn't give it up! Finally Marian goes to the back office and calls me to ask if I need a rescue. Unfortunately, it was too late because he left.


1 comment:

the stealthy librarian said...

Oh, I totally feel your pain on that last one. I hate customers/questions like that.