Sunday, May 22, 2005

What is HELL?

Today was probably one of the most hellish days of my life at the liberry. I'm going to explode... (The other day that comes close was when I received a love letter from a creepy old man- it said he is from Chicago and is a mind traveler, the happiest day of his life was when he met me, continued for two pages. When I got it my first instinct was to shred it, but I stopped to think and sent it to personnel. But I digress).

The ninety plus degree temperature didn't help the situation. Combine internet rage, cell phone rage, homework rage, and just plain rage and the result is today...

It started off fine. I was happy because the guy who remembers my name couldn't recall it! He roamed the liberry and constantly mumbled to himself. And we got the usual questions- what does that mean "does not circulate."

However, things started to escalate when I asked this jerk to take his cell phone conversation outside. He screamed - yes, screamed - what do you want me to do, blow up the place, start a fire? and gave me the talk to the hand gesture.

His rage just allowed people to act in a similar (if not worse) manner. I asked one guy to leave the internet because his half an hour (plus 3 hours) has expired. He yelled at me- I just got here. I asked the security guard for help, and what a help he was. He said, he said he just got here and his friend vouched for him. Whatever.

Then the phone call- My son is doing a senior high school project about independent films and literature. What obscure titles do you have on the subject? Did your son suggest any titles? What sorts of themes is he thinking about? Then her cell phone cuts off. She calls back- sorry I can't hear you hon, I was dropping my son off at the movies.

And the dense high school student who had no concept of a newspaper. How many times did he ask the difference between a feature article and an editorial? I explained it about 5 times, so did my colleague.

Yes, today we achieved a new height of rudeness and insanity! Thank God I have the day off tomorrow...

2 comments:

the stealthy librarian said...

Wow. It was not a good day in liberry land. Our day sucked pretty bad, although by comparison it was tolerable. No one yelled at me, at least. It was definitely not a normal Sunday, though. Usually it is busy until about 5:30 and then totally, completely dead until closing at 9. It was sort of the opposite today. We could NOT get people to leave!! It was maddening. We had one group in a study room that were told by 4 separate people that they needed to head on out. They took their jolly good time. I guess finals are stressing everyone out. I know they are stressing me!

The Liberry aka Amy said...

Thanks for your sympathy! We're lucky we are only open 4 hours on Sundays. I can't imagine if we were open until 9...