Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Paperback Thriller

I belong to a listserv (of mostly librarians) that discusses fiction, and often people post "stumpers" of books their patrons are looking for but can't remember the title of.

Today, someone posted this:

"A patron was looking for this paperback thriller. He believed he saw it in the mid-1980s and it had a VC-Andrewsesque shlocky cover.

This is his exact description of the book:

And hey, are you EVER going to find that book I'm still looking for, the one about the catatonic mobster with a perpetual erection trying to kill his son and ex-wife who are hiding in the Louisiana Bayou being protected by the ex-Navy (or was it Air Force?) guy with night blindness?


If anyone recognizes it, let me know, because I MUST read this book.

2 comments:

Marian The said...

We may have an answer--another member says:
"The patron has evidently forgotten the part played by the dolphin; this has to be NATIVE TONGUE by Carl Hiaasen."

Michael David Boyd said...

I am the guy looking for this book, and a librarian friend of mine posted that to the list. I've been looking for it for more than 10 years now. It is not Native Tongue. I read this book in around 1988.