Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Changing of the guard

At 5:00 it was my turn to take Frank's place at the desk. He gave me 2 books- a Hawaiian dictionary and a guide to new cars. Two different customers might come in to check them out. So, a few minutes later, the 1st man comes.

He says, I called, and I forget, I think Frank was holding a book for me?

The Hawaiian dictionary?

I don't know, is that what you call it? It's the one about cars.


I give him the book about cars.

So, do you guys call that the Hawaiian dictionary?

3 comments:

Marian The said...

!!!

It's amazing, people must think what we do is so arcane that maybe "Hawaiian dictionary" is just the library term for "book about cars".

The Liberry aka Amy said...

We miss you Marian!

ann said...

Oh marian, that's the best. Yes, people do think we do and say arcane things. Which I think is actually true, we do. The library world is just so foreign to people, they have no frame of reference for what we do or say. So to them it's totally possible that a car book really could be referred to as the Hawaiian dictionary. It's all just buzzes and pops. It’s like on the old Charlie Brown cartoons when the teachers talked, “wah, wah, wah, wah." We say stuff and it sounds like that to patrons. I might just start doing that and see if anyone notices…