Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Hard of hearing

Frank sees the hard of hearing man approach the desk, and says he'll handle this one. The man wants to look up mad and anger in the dictionary, so Frank reads off the definitions:

feeling or showing anger...

Then the guy says, common sense you understand, I mean, you got common, you got sense. Know what it is?

Frank (wins award for patience) continues, feeling some degree of anger, showing vexation, wrathful, seeming to show anger, threatening or seeming to be threatened, inflamed, painful, appearing appearing or being naturally fierce.... Synonyms: mad, irate, wrathful. The word commonly implies excited.

Man: Actually, you're crazy. Yeah, mad.

Then they look up common sense--

Frank: good judgment, prudence, free from emotional bias, not depending on special or technical language....

Man: I don't believe that, do you.... Animals and the birds.... dogs don't get nothing. They stay angry, right, right.... how do you explain that? Did you ever read the Bible? There's about fifteen pages....

Frank: Ok sir, here's the magnifying glass.

Man: Nah, I don't need that. That's common sense.
(Starts to walk away)

Woman asks the man if he is waiting for the internet. Huh? Are you waiting sir?

Man: Yes, for death. I'm 90, I bet I'm gonna pretty soon. If you understand, I invented the (something- a word I don't catch) that saves water. Lemonade to drain. That's my opinion. I think it's stupid. I don't know what the hell they call it. I don't want to hear about it. Well, I'm the only man in the world who knows common sense. You understand what I told you?

Frank nods.

Man: Nobody knows what it is, a lot of them say they know common sense. I say what is it? They are wrong. Nobody is more important than anybody else, did you know that?

Frank- now we do.

Man: We are a bunch of fools. I am not a fool. Sense is another thing I need to look up. There is only one sense, isn't there? I need a drink of water, where is it?

Frank walks the man to the exit and returns. He tells me, the man is slipping. I can just see the look in his eyes.

No comments: