Monday, October 17, 2005

Nickel and dimed to death

Today I spent 20 minutes helping a young man who had spent 3 hours typing his term paper on one of our computers, and wanted to email it to his home computer. He didn't have a disk to save it to, so I loaned him a disk, showed him how to save his document, then how to attach it to his email. He printed a copy (9 pages) to see how it would look and found that the spacing was messed up after the first page. I showed him that he had somehow set it for full justification, and the program was simply trying to fit his words into that amount of space on each line. We did a select-all, reset the formatting, and saved it again. He printed a second copy (another 9 pages) to check that it was right. When he was asked for another $1.35, he had a fit! He insisted he shouldn't have to pay because the first printing came out wrong. He demanded to talk to a supervisor, so they called me over. I explained to him that because it was (his) human error, not computer error that caused the problem, he would have to pay for the second print job. He ranted and raved about how cheap we were and demanded my name so he could write a complaint to the newspaper. Some days are just like that...

3 comments:

the stealthy librarian said...

Well, yah, I have had that same rant directed at me over 15 cents. Makes my blood pressure go through the roof.

Anonymous said...

Perhaps the lesson here is, always use the Print Preview.

Marian The said...

Oh so true. A wisdom for the ages.