Friday, October 14, 2005

Thumbs Up!

This morning I was shelving and kept hearing this ear-splitting scream from a little kid. When I couldn't stand it any longer, I tracked it down and found it was coming from a little boy about 1 1/2 years old, sitting in his stroller while his oblivious mom checked her email. Neither of them spoke English, so I knelt down in front of the kid and started pantomiming shushing motions and zipping my lip. When he stopped screaming to try to figure out what I was doing, I smiled broadly and made a thumbs-up gesture. That got a smile out of him. I went back to shelving, but whenever he started to make noise again, I'd put my head around the corner and hold a finger to my lips. He would stop the noise and smile at me and then I'd give him the thumbs-up. Wish they were all that easy!

No comments: