Wednesday, October 19, 2005

tweet, clank

-----Original Message-----

From: Otherlibrarian
Sent: Wednesday, October 19, 2005 9:48 AM
To: Mailing List
Subject: Uceli di robot



Patron is looking for an English translation of Uceli di Robot, which she describes as a book about the life of a priest who falls in love with a woman, who then has a son. She thinks the title translates to The Robot Bird, but I am not finding anything, and she doesn't know the author. I checked WorldCat and Amazon under the Italian title but came up with nothing.

Any help to confirm who the author is and whether this has been translated into English is appreciated.

Reference Librarian
City (state) Public Library


-----Original Message-----

From: Marian The
Sent: Wednesday, October 19, 2005 10:05 AM
To: Otherlibrarian
Subject: RE: Uceli di robot

Hey,

I think what this actually is is THE THORN BIRDS, by Colleen McCullough!

The Italian title is UCCELLI DI ROVO.

hahahaha. The Robot Bird!

--Marian The
(City) County Library



-----Original Message-----

From: Otherlibrarian
Sent: Wednesday, October 19, 2005 10:35 AM
To: Marian The
Subject: RE: Uceli di robot



Thank you, thank you, thank you. That makes much more sense! The closest I could get is The Wind-up Bird Chronicle by Murakami, which has a totally different plot.

Anyway, we're happy now.

Tweet, clank. (My own robot bird)


Reference Librarian
City (state) Public Library


-----Original Message-----

From: Marian The
Sent: Wednesday, October 19, 2005 10:05 AM
To: Otherlibrarian

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle! That's perfect.

It's a good thing I didn't think of that or I probably wouldn't have been able to come up with anything else--you know how you get something in your mind and it sticks?

Anyway, thank Google's spell check...

ME: uceli di robot?

GOOGLE: Do you mean Uccelli di Rovo?

ME: I don't know, maybe I do.

GOOGLE: Yes, you do. Here.



Glad to be of help.

Tweet, clank (hee!)

--Marian The
(City) County Library

2 comments:

The Liberry aka Amy said...

I'd rather read something called Robot Birds!

Doggie Extraordinaire's Mom said...

I love stories like that! I eat them up and laugh about them for a long time after. Isn't it funny how we get so wrapped up in finding something, assuming the patron actually is correct and knows what they're talking about, and we miss the big picture? Thanks for the laugh!