Friday, May 19, 2006

Not Advisable

Guy: I want some books on farming, and gardening, and homeopathic medicine, and home remedies, and hobbies...

Me: What kind of hobbies?

Guy: Oh, just any kind, and last night I saw Bette Davis as Elizabeth I, so I need a book about Walter Raleigh and any of the men she was...fancy...with. And I need a book that has a timeline of English history.

Me: Okay, I think the books on Britain are over here.

Guy: Oh, no, it has to say English history. The ones that say "Britain" are too violent for me. And then "Great Britain" is just too "business". It's not advisable for people like me to read books about Great Britain.

5 comments:

Nike said...

HUH?
Maybe he should have said it's not advisable for people like him to be out without a keeper!

Anonymous said...

HAHA to the previous post.

I wonder what "people like me" means. I think I would have slowly backed away from the patron...

Xtopher the para-Librarian said...

I don't know which is more irritating: people who are too specific and won't accept a more general book that includes the information they want and will only settle for a book exclusively about the excrutiatingly specific topic they've requested; or people who are really vague and then resist being reference interviewed.

Emma said...

This guy is my favorite of your regulars!

Marian The said...

I forgot about him! He was one of my favorites too. I wonder if he still comes to that branch.