Thursday, January 17, 2008

Not really a service we provide, but I didn't have much of a choice--

A woman came to the reference desk and told me that her dad, who lived across the street from the liberry, recently passed away. He listened to a lot of books on tape.

Then she took out a big tape recorder from her bag and put it on the counter. She said I don't know what to do with this.

I looked at the back side of the tape recorder and showed her a toll free number to a braille agency. She said she doesn't have time to call them; she's leaving town tomorrow.

Then she sort of threatened me: either I take the tape recorder and research how to return it to the agency or she throws it in the trash!

So, I took the tape player and called the braille agency. They thanked me for not letting her throw it away. They also told me how I could return it without paying postage. I never thought that boxing and shipping items was a service we provide.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

As a librarian for a Talking Book & Braille Library in California, thanks very much for taking the time to return the machine to the lending library!