Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Strange Day

Today I worked with Retired Librarian. I love working with her because she tells it like it is. Right off the bat we could tell this was going to be a strange day. After the first three customers she told me-- we are working with some real looney tunes today. And it was true.

For instance, one woman told RL that she had never been to the liberry before. RL explained the whole reservation system for the Internet, and the woman replied-- that's just like it was here yesterday.

A super odd guy holding a box of Honey Bunches of Oats with Almonds and a bunch of pink hydrangeas came to the desk and told RL that he couldn't find what he was looking for in the card file. RL said-- we don't have a card file. He responded-- oh, I'm a child of the 70's. Later he asked me if I wanted the flowers and before I could answer NO, he said-- well you can't have them Amy! He put them in his ponytail.

As we were closing, RL commented-- that was a strange day. We've had strange days before, but this was definitely one of the strangest ones. Do you think it's in the water or is it in the air?


3 comments:

Quiltin' LibraryLady said...

Maybe it's just that public libraries attract the looney toons because they sense that we have to put up with them.

Anonymous said...

this is actually my favorite thing about working in the library - the entire range of human odd behavior parades in front of us for our enjoyment each day.

Amy said...

Absolutely Anonymous, I totally agree. The best part of the job is finding things to blog. I love the human parade!