Monday, November 09, 2009

5-8 PM @ ref. desk...

When does lib close? Oh, I thought it was 5. no, it’s 8. really?


Twitter girl: Help me sign up for twitter. What does alternate email mean?


Have you seen my brother? He’s kinda bald. He's 12, and my sister is 11.


I didn’t go to school today. Celebrated veterans day. Do you have homework? No. how’d you get so lucky? I don’t know.


Can you cancel this? I didn’t want it, just wondered if my lib card worked.


Twitter girl: Help me set up yahoo?

Twitter girl: How do you do that @ sign?

Twitter girl asks questions like that for the rest of the night.


Do you have A Separate Peace? According to III we do, but of course it wasn't on the shelf.


When do you close?


Caller asks Heather-- who is the head of Medicare?


My reservation is for 7:15 for 45 minutes. Can it be an hour? No, because we close at 8. You can't make it an hour?


I listen to Heather spell out something on the phone: H as in hello!


Can you print some mapquest directions?


I've never been here before; do you have anything by Leon Uris?


Earlier today I cleaned out my desk which will be destroyed in the remodel.


Man who is a friend of the man who asks us to print out daily horse racing entries tells me that because we don't have the movie A Tree Grows in Brooklyn I outta be ashamed of myself. Then he asks for me about a Bruce Willis movie I couldn't find in III and he tells me I'm way too young to even hear of the movie.


What sorts of inpatient drug rehab centers are here locally?


Can you show me where the CD Books are? I show her, and she says thanks girl.


Do you have a street map?


Purple sequiny ballerina lady asks for books on weddings. She has painted her toes and nails purple, wears purple eye makeup with a little ballerina bow in her hair. Her shirt, belt, sandals, and part of her skirt has sequins. The hem on her denim skirt is jagged and cut so that it flows as she walks. I wish I had a picture.


The millionth person asks why do we have so many empty shelves? Several reasons-- we weeded to the extreme in preparation for RFID, we have a floating collection now (doesn't really contribute to empty shelves though, I don't think), and we're doing a big remodel starting this week.


Do you have Popular Mechanics? I see you have it in Spanish.


Twitter girl: How old do you have to be to help here?

TG: Does it cost money to watch the Thursday movie?


#5 restarted and took 15 minutes (yes, I watched the clock) to restart.


Woman wants me to print out her airline ticket but doesn't have the confirmation number.


I can't believe how many people come here wearing flannel pj's and slippers. As if the liberry was a college dorm.


Do you have the Diary of a Wimpy Kid?


Kids: Do you know that Jesus guy? (The one who wears religious shirts, talks about Jesus, etc).

The comment reminded me of Sister Act-- Hail girls, hail Mary, what's up? You know that guy over there?..


Kid: Do you have Harry Potter #1 book?

No, but I can order one for you. Would that be ok?

Yes you may.

Do you have any Harry Potter books here?

I find one in the YA section. I give him the book and he says Thanks Amy! Wow, this is 36 chapters. I'm in 5th grade, going into 6th grade next year. I am so nervous.... My mom is out shopping with a friend.

Maybe she could help you find your library card so you can check this out.

Thanks Amy!


Why are all the magazines on the bookshelf?

Because we are going through a remodeling and lots of things are out of place.


LLOTN (last looney of the night-- T minus 10 minutes before closing): Do you have my cell phone?

No, did you check in lost and found?

(comes back 5 minutes later)-- Do you have my cell phone?

No, I don't. Then I'm going to ask them again @ Lost and Found.

The circular conversation continues. He goes back and forth between the circ desk (lost and found) and the ref desk. He said that he knows there is a cell phone in this building. I asked him if he wanted me to call it, and he said no, it doesn't work like that.

Today is Monday, and he lost it last Friday. He said last Saturday someone named Nancy called him and told him it is at the liberry. (no one named Nancy works here).... looney tune conversation continues until we close.


Good Night!



No comments: