Thursday, July 01, 2010

An incredible "not a service we provide" request

This woman named called the liberry and asked to speak to me. [first sign that this isn't good]. She told me about all her overdue books, and that her life is so complicated, and that she doesn't know when she'll be able to return them.

Then she asked me if I had any breaks left in the day, and I asked her why? She said-- can I just give you my address and my daughter will meet you half way and give you the books? I said my break isn't long enough for that, and it isn't a service we provide. [I don't even know why I said my break isn't long enough; should have just said naswp first]. She said, well, what about the other people working there? I immediately said that's not a service we provide!

--------

What if we did provide that service? I can just see all the liberry employees driving golf carts around town picking up (and hey, why not delivering) books. One big deposit collection for the statistics!

6 comments:

Marian The said...

OMG. I overheard you saying "my break isn't long enough for that" and wondered what they wanted you to do, but it got busy and I forgot to ask. Definitely NASWP!

Anonymous said...

WTF?? regardless of the length of your break, if you spent any amount of it fetching some lady's overdue books, that would make it -work-, not a break! rude.

I'm terrible about getting to the library, but fortunately there's a drop box at my grocery. If it weren't for that, I would owe my next child to the library for fines.

-jill

Alex said...

When I was in elementary school, I was one of three hand-selected "library elves." We checked books in and out, and pulled a radio flyer wagon around the school from classroom to classroom collecting books that had been forgotten in our classmates' desks. I think Fridays were collection days... and we got to ride the wheelchair kids' elevator!

The library really did retrieve more books, I think. At least, sooner (i.e. not the end of the school year).

Anonymous said...

I live in a really small town (no traffic lights at all) and people have pulled up to me on the street and asked me to return their books. Most often I do. I love small town living.

Sam said...

"That is not a service we provide" is a magical sentence. I work in a bookstore and one of my managers would use it all the time, so I started using it, too. It worked on the guy who called the store and asked me to look up a word in the dictionary for him and the woman who insisted that we donate her change to Haiti for her.

Wellington Womble said...

Why not arrange for some volunteers with a car to make it a service you provide - on designated days only. Maybe once a month? Make it an option on the phone messaging system if it proves to be popular but don't advertise it at the front desk or everyone will take advantage of it.
This would be a great help to those who rely on Wheeltrans or have mobility issues.