Sunday, September 19, 2010

What I want to be when I grow up

This middle school kid & his dad came to the liberry to look for material for the assignment-- what I want to be when I grow up. The dad did all the talking.

Dad: Do you have any biographies of scientists, in particular volcanologists?
Me: What was the subject? (looking at it written down is easier than hearing it and wondering what he = saying)
Dad: Volcanologists. I think that's how it's pronounced. (The kid agreed).
Me: (now that I know he wants to study volcanoes...) Let me look for some material.

I satisfied his information needs for the day because I found a book called Volcanologists as well as career encyclopedias, books about volcanoes, books about being a scientist, even a book called Volcanology.

1 comment:

Gwan said...

Whaddaya know, I would have thought that vulcanologist was the only correct spelling, but turns out they're both right. Vulcanology is slightly older, but volcanology seems to be more common. Learn something every day...