Sunday, April 24, 2011

Reference question of the day

Caller:  Hi, do you know those call letters that the military uses, A Alpha, B Bravo, C Charlie?  I was wondering what they are called and I'd like a list of all of them.

Me:  OK, let me put you on hold and do some research.

Fortunately it wasn't very busy yesterday.  I spend about 5 minutes looking in dictionaries, military books, other reference books, etc., then decide it would be better if I called him back.  He said he'd rather wait on the line or call me back, so I ask him to please call me back.  He calls back in about 30 min and here's what I told him--

I looked in many reference materials and couldn't find anything.  However, I did look on Amazon and found a juvenile book called Alpha Bravo Charlie: The Military Alphabet.  Our book is checked out, but I looked at the subjects of the book and found that the letters are the ICAO Alphabet Code.  Then I googled ICAO alphabet code and found the list!  (BTW- ICAO stands for International Civil Aviation Organization).

 

2 comments:

Mimsy Buttons said...

Or you can google "Military Alphabet" and go to the 3rd result for the Wikipedia entry on NATO phonetic alphabet and get all that and much more...

Nomad Librarian said...

The irony here is that my husband is a military pilot, so I would just rattle them off...