Thursday, December 29, 2011

PIN

Woman:  Hi, I'd like to check out a computer.  My friend here knows how to work it.
Me:  Okay, do you have a library card and PIN number?
Woman:  I have a library card and I don't have a PIN number.
Me:  I can set the PIN number.
Woman digs and digs and digs for the card.  Meanwhile a line is forming.  She finally finds the card.
Me:  What four numbers do you want for your PIN?
Woman:  Do I have to have a PIN?  I just want to work the computer.
Woman's friend:  You have to have a PIN so you can use the computer.
Woman:  But I don't want a PIN.
Friend:  You have to have one.
Woman:  I don't know what I want it to be.  What if someone breaks into my account?
Friend:  Just choose 4 numbers, any 4 numbers.  Two ages, a year, anything!
Me:  How about 1234?
Woman:  That is too obvious.
I hand her a piece of paper and pencil and ask her if she'd like to write it down.
(Meanwhile the line continues to form, and those who are listening to this exchange aren't happy).
Woman:  Um... um... I can't think.  I'm not good at these pop quizzes.
Friend:  I am so sorry.
Friend whispers something to the woman, and the woman writes down the 4 numbers.
Finally!

7 comments:

barbara l. hale said...

Lol. I would have let her go with the 1234.

LinWash said...

You have a lot of patience to deal with that!

Sara said...

Hahahahah

herzogbr said...

My library just switched from the four-digit PINs to seven-digit (letters with at least one number) passwords. For the PINs, we always told people to use the last four digits of their telephone number, both so they'd remember it and so library staff could look it up if they forgot - but now, all bets are off with the passwords.

shushie said...

LOL, I don't know why library card pins are so difficult for some people. We uniformly just changed them to everyone's birthdate -- easiest way without having to constantly look up or reset them.

Marianne said...

I demand that this blog be put into some daily publication that the (untechie) world can enjoy! It is my favorite read!

Marian The said...

Haha, love it! Thanks, Ann!