Friday, May 18, 2012

Not a service we provide

Woman comes to the desk holding a vase.

Woman:  I'd like to have someone tell me what this vase is worth.

Me:  I can show you books (antiques & collectibles).

Woman:  No, isn't there someone on staff who can appraise it.

Me:  No, we don't have anyone on staff who can do that.  (It's not a service we provide).

Woman:  Oh, well the public liberry down the road (not part of our system) has someone on staff who does appraisals.
-----------------

REALLY?  (didn't say it, but) Then you know just where to go!

------------------

Note to blog readers--  has anyone ever heard of having an appraiser on staff in a public liberry?

5 comments:

HL said...

Umm..no. We're happy to point you to the books on antiques and approx values but that's all.

Jenny said...

Nope. I imagine it's a possible that a special event has been held...

Anne said...

We just had a lady come in asking the same thing last week. A couple of months ago, we had a local auctioneer come in to do an appraisal event so I guess it kind of makes sense...

Tessica said...

Not at the library where I work but, I guess she found someone at the other library that does it on as a second job.

Brent said...

I've never heard of such a thing at any library here in Indiana.