Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Circular conversation about a service we don't provide

Woman who needed my help to type in her liberry card number so that she could use the computer:  What's the password?

Me:  You've already typed in your password to use the computer.

Woman:  So is the internet down today?

Me:  No.

Woman:  Then what is my password to the internet?

Me:  What are you trying to do?

Woman:  Check my email.

Me:  Only you would know your email password.  It's not something that anyone else would know unless you shared it with them.  Have you tried turning the caps lock off & on?  

(Side note: Guessing your password is not a service we provide).

Woman:  So the internet must be down.

4 comments:

Melanie said...

Oh, my goodness. Sounds like another frequent library conversation. "Is there another computer? This one doesn't have the internet." I check the connection, everything's fine. . . after a few probing questions I figure out that the Internet Explorer icon had been removed from the desktop (although still pinned to the taskbar). Firefox was clearly visible but a certain generation was brainwashed into looking for that blue "e".

Emma said...

I'm a library assistant at a mid-size public library and I just wanted to say that I love your blog. It gets me through all the quiet hours on the reference desk. Thank you for writing!

Kathryn E. said...

Forget not being able to click on Firefox instead of Explorer--I've had REPEATED cases of folks getting on a computer and STARING for whole minutes at our homepage (our library's site) before coming over and telling me the internet's broken. *facepalm*

Also had one dude convinced (as in, asked multiple people and multiple separate occasions) that we were in control of his yahoo email account. I tracked down their customer support number for him, but I think he still thinks we run yahoo :/

Monika Matesa said...

Isn't it enough to make you want to cry? Or at least do a double facepalm...