Thursday, November 19, 2015

Can I help you?

My colleague, a Tech 3, was trying to help me with my line the other day.  She asked this man about 45 if she could help him.  He replied, are you a librarian?  She said no, so he said I don't want to talk to you.  So when he finally got to me, I couldn't believe his question:  do you have any Justin Bieber CDs?  I looked it up and said we have at least one, I can keep looking... He said, no, where is it?  I need to get it before anyone else!!! And ran away!

He came back to check 2 of them out.  He asked, is this a self check machine?  I said yes, just put your items on the wood and... He stopped me in mid sentence and said, did I ask you how to work the machine?  If I need your help, I will ask!


4 comments:

Shane White said...

I suspect this guy is somewhere on the Autism spectrum - eg Aspergers. I'm not saying that to insult him, seeing I have Aspergers myself, but this sort of literal-minded, self absorbed bluntness is pretty typical.

looloolooweez said...

My goodness! I wonder why he was so defensive about y'all trying to help him?

Emma said...

Shane's explanation sounds pretty convincing to me, but I was surprised by the "Did I ask you?..." comment. That's not the direct, literalistic language I would have expected from someone on the spectrum. The rest of it definitely fits, though!

iamironman said...

The autism spectrum seems plausible, but so does the jerk spectrum.